Sign Regulations for Political Campaigns
The City of Grover Beach City Council adopted a comprehensive sign ordinance update in October 2019, that included revisions to the regulations for political campaign signs which are considered “non-commercial message signs.” Political campaign signs for Federal, State, and local elections must adhere to the regulations below. Signs that do not adhere to these regulations will be subject to removal, consistent with the adopted sign ordinance:
- Sixty (60) days prior to an election (i.e., September 3, 2020 for the 2020 election cycle), all properties within Grover Beach are allowed up to 32 square feet of temporary yard signs for political campaigns. This allows for one or multiple signs on one property as long as the total sign area does not exceed 32 square feet of temporary yard signs.
- All temporary yard signs must have permission from the property owners to be placed, including vacant lots, shopping centers, parking lots, fences, etc.
- In no instances shall political signs be placed in the following locations:
- Utility poles, traffic signals, etc.
- On city streets, sidewalks and city rights-of-way
- On City property, including parks, open spaces, parking lots, etc.
- On private property without the owner’s permission.
- All political campaign signs must be removed no later than seven (7) days after the election (i.e., November 10, 2020).
For additional information on political signs, please click on our political sign regulations (PDF) handout.