Online Recreation Programs
Thank you for visiting the Grover Beach Parks & Recreation Department online recreation page, a collection of digital recreation and resources! We are committed to finding new ways for you to stay busy, active, and engaged during these challenging times. The page brings programs and resources right to you and your family at your home allowing you to prioritize your health and well-being.
This page will be regularly updated with new offerings and ideas. Please note that we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of, or receive funds to advertise any of the third-party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
If you have a great resource to share or feedback about our online recreation center, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Be in the Know
Visit these sites for the latest local information regarding COVID-19:
ReadySLO.org - This is the lead Agency in San Luis Obispo county directing our community’s response to COVID-19. Food and prescription information for Self-Isolating residents
Centers for Disease Control - CDC’s COVID-19 site.
Local Outdoor Exercise Instructors
Register Online For:
- Tai Chi- Based on Sun Style Tai Chi, this program uses flowing movements to increase muscular strength and balance while protecting joints and decreasing stress. Instructor Dr. Kathryn Phelan utilizes programs developed by Dr. Paul Lam, including Tai Chi for Arthritis, Diabetes, and Rehabilitation.
Local Parks for Outdoor Exercise
Grover Beach City Parks -
Playgrounds, tennis and basketball courts are opened at City parks, and the open space grassy areas remain open though users need to adhere to the six-foot minimum physical distance requirement:
- 16th Street Park: Southeast Corner of 16th Street & Mentone Avenue
- Golden West Park: On Jennifer Court
- Grover Heights Park: North 10th Street and Atlantic City Avenue
- Hero Community Park: Farroll Road & South 16th Street
- Mentone Basin Park: South 16th Street & Mentone Avenue
- Ramona Garden Park: North 9th Street & Ramona Avenue
Best Exercises & Workout Ideas – Exercise can be more than fun, it's good for you health.
Home Gym 101- Top 40 best cardio exercises you can do at home.
60+ Workout – Workouts great for seniors
Skateboarding Tricks - Easiest beginner skateboarding tricks.
Carpetboarding – Skateboarding- indoors!
Do Yoga with Me - Free yoga videos.
Fitness Blender - Variety of free fitness videos.
Nike Training Club – Download the app filled with free fitness videos.
Alo Moves – Filled with fitness, yoga, and meditation.
Fitness Blender for Kids - Free fitness videos.
Cosmic Kids Yoga - Kid friendly yoga exercises.
Fluency and Fitness - Educational brain breaks to help students review literacy and math skills, while getting in some exercise.
GoNoodle - Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts.
Kid-friendly Workouts - Fun and engaging workouts for children.
The OT Tool Box - Resources designed to build skills through movement.
All Kids Network - Crafts, activities, mazes, dot to dot, etc.
Highlights Kids - Fun games, recipes, crafts, and activities.
Maker Stations - Simple at home creations.
Google Arts and Culture - Features content from over 1,200 leading museums and archives.
Daily Doodle - Daily Lessons by Mo Willems.
FreeKidsCrafts - Lots of categories of ideas, templates and print outs.
Crafts by Amanda - Free arts and crafts ideas.
Coloring pages - Free coloring pages for children.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art (MetKids) - Discover the Met Museum through virtual activities.
Artsology - Interactive art activities for kids.
Recycled Arts and Crafts – Get creative and create something out of recycled materials.
Broadway Shows - Watch a Broadway show for free.
OPEN @ Home Summer Camp - Physical activity fun
Virtual Summer Camps - One week long, enrichment-based classes
Virtual School Day - A free remote learning program
Scholastic Learn at Home - Reading activities for children.
Bed Time Math - Math as a fun part of your daily family routine.
Conjuguemos - Multi-language listening activities and games
Science Spot - Science projects that can be completed without internet access.
The Happy Scientist - Science exploration.
Climate Kids - NASA’s science exploration for children.
PBS Learning - over 30,000 learning materials for children.
Quizlet - Practice and master a variety of educational topics.
Brainscape - Online flashcard decks on every subject imaginable.
Banzai - Understanding of real-world financial situations, and smart money management.
Education.com - Free printable worksheets and interactive games.
IN THE KITCHEN:
Baking & Bread Camp - Youth and adult virtual cooking classes by Gourmandise School of Sweets and Savories. @gourmandisela
Baking with Kids Galore! - Working as a team, adults and kids can spend time together doing meal preparation and other cooking and baking tasks. Cooking and baking can also be a great opportunity to brush up on math skills, and many science concepts will also come into play.
BBC Goodfood- Children’s baking recipes.
- Craft activities with step by step instructions.
- Recipes- From nutritious smoothies to finger foods and lots more, find easy to make recipes in this section.
- Word Games- Give your brain some exercise!
- Coloring- A variety of fun printable coloring pages.
- Seasonal Activities - Browse through crafts and other activities to celebrate the festive times of the year.
- Caregiver Stories - Stories from Caregivers around the world. Watch and learn from other caregivers about their heart-warming experiences.
Body & Mind Activities
- Word Games - Give your brain some exercise with this large variety of word games!
- Quizzes - Quizzes for seniors are fun mental activities. Tips are given for how to modify some of them for different cognitive abilities.
- Brain Games - Doing regular brain games is recognized as being beneficial to improving or maintaining mental abilities as we age.
- Sensory Activities -We have five basic senses: sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. For a well-rounded active life try to engage them all in some way during your day.
- Reflections - Relax and enjoy a collection of the Time Out newsletter posts and other inspirational content.
- Scenic Videos - Sit back and relax with these scenic videos.
- Exercise & Massage - Staying physically active as we age has great health benefits. Learn also how to do a hand, foot or head massage for your loved one.
- Meditations - Relax your mind and body with these wonderfully calming themed guided meditations. A little bit of “time out” for you.
- Trivia Lists - Trivia lists can be useful for a lot of different activities, both with groups and individuals. Each one has suggestions on how you may use them.
- Spot the Difference - Find ten differences between the two images on each page.
- Memory Games- Find some nice activities to exercise the memory and keeping the brain active. A collection of fun memory games for individuals and senior facilities.
- Games & Groups - Find senior group games for different ability levels.
Down Dog App: Free customizable classes you can do at home including all types and levels of yoga, HIIT, barre and a 7-minute workout. Free for students and teachers (K-12 and college) until July 1.
Gym Shark App: Download this conditioning app with plenty of free content including workouts and plans, custom workout creation, progress tracking and movement videos.
24 Hour Fitness: Check out their 24-GO customizable workout app for free (non-members included).
Fitness Blender: Free customizable workouts for all ages.
Calm Together: Enjoy free favorite meditations, sleep stories, movement exercises, journals, and music from the #1 app for happiness, meditation and mindfulness.
Mindfulness Youth Voices: This video features youth and young adults discussing their experiences practicing mindfulness, and how mindfulness has benefited different aspects of their lives.
UCLA Mindful App: Download a free app and access free meditations and videos related to your mindfulness practice.
Teen YOUniversity: Information about local mindfulness programs through Mindful Kindful YOUniversity.
scribbl.io: Stay connected with friends and family with this free online multi-player drawing and guessing game (like Pictionary).
Netflix Party: Netflix has introduced a new feature which allows users to link up with friends and host long-distance movie nights.
Houseparty: Download this face to face social networking app that allows up to eight people to video chat at once in a room.
Teen Talk: App where teens can get support for whatever they may be dealing with from a trained teen.
Get By Together: Learn how to do almost anything from quarantine haircuts to growing your own food using these helpful (and sometimes hilarious) YouTube video tutorials. These days, just doing the ordinary feels extraordinary. We’re all just figuring it out, together.
SGN (Some Good News): John Krasinski hosts a show featuring good news stories from around the world. Watch the virtual prom that Krasinski organized featuring music guests
Watch One World: Together at Home: This link takes you to a recorded broadcast including leading global health experts alongside exciting performances by the world’s top artists and comedians.
Photo Scavenger Hunt: Invite your friends to do a photo scavenger hunt. Set a start and end time to virtually reconnect with your friends to share stories of the images you found. Use this list or find one of your own.
NPR’s Tiny Desk Concerts: Intimate video performances recorded live at the desk of all songs considered host Bob Boilen.
Mango Languages: Accessed with a Paso Robles City Library card.
Duolingo: Learn languages for free forever.
Gale: Learning-focused resources to maintain academic continuity from home.
Khan Academy: Daily schedules for students ages 2-18 to keep them learning.
California Department of Education: Resources to provide educators with options for creating a foundation for communication, sharing, and digital learning.
California State Library: Quick Access to California K-12 Online Content during the COVID-19 crisis.: Fun activities to do at home by grade level, types and subjects.
Wonderopolis: A site where natural curiosity and imagination lead to exploration and discovery in learners of all ages.
The Peer-Run Warm Line: Call 1-855-845-7415 for peer-run non-emergency emotional support.
Teen Line: Text “TEEN” to 839863 every night of the week 6pm-9pm for teen to teen education and support. Please note phone lines will temporarily be closed starting Friday March 13th, text lines and email will remain open.
Covenant House: Call 800-999-9999 A support service and 24 hour helpline for homeless youth. Deals with a wide range of issues including bullying, suicide, basic needs, health, drugs, alcohol and sex.
ReachOut: Call 800-448-3000 Site where teens and young adults can find the information they need, reach out, tell their stories and voice their opinions without fear of being judged or different.
How to Feel Better Today: Article by certified life coach for parents and teens Anjanette Ludwig of Share the Joy Coaching.
Quaran-teened: 150+ Social distancing ideas for teens.
Raising Teens Today: 101 Things Teens Can Do While Stuck at Home.
The Wellness Society: Corona Virus Anti Anxiety Workbook: A comprehensive guide to help combat stress and anxiety during this time. This guide is filled with activities to help identify emotional stressors and to lower your stress and anxiety levels.
The California Surgeon General has a simple guide with things you can do every day, at home, to help support your mental and physical health, utilizing six key strategies.
O.P.A.L Nutrients®- Visit Facebook @OPALNutrients to get your daily dose of Health Tips.
Mindfulness - Practice meditation, focus, breathing methods, guided imagery, to relax the body, and mind and help reduce stress.
Over Coming Obstacles - Life skills for students that include strategies for teaching social, and emotional skills.
Monterey Bay Aquarium – Visit the Aquarium through a live stream.
Elephant Live Cam - View a live cam of the elephants at the San Diego Zoo!
Virtual Museum Tours – Tours of museums all around the world.
San Diego Zoo - Live animal cameras and videos.
The Environmental Nature Center - Educational videos for school-aged children.
Aquarium of the Pacific - Webinars, live-cam footage, and classes.
Nat Geo Kids - Learn about geography and animals.
Gardening - Guide to gardening for children.
Moon Jelly Cam - Observe the Jelly Live at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Smithsonian Zoos and Museums - Live video of the National Zoo and activities from the Smithsonian Learning Lab.
National Parks - Live video and virtual tours of National Parks
Travel from home - 13 virtual museums and galleries to tour.
Navigate Quickly & Easily
City Help Center