Short-Term Rental Permit Application Process
Applications must be submitted online. Applications will not be accepted at City Hall or via U.S. Mail. The required submission information and the permit process will differ depending if you will be operating an "owner-occupied" or "non-owner occupied" short-term rental. Prior to submitting for a STR permit, please review our Administrative Rules.
What is an "Owner-Occupied" versus "Non-Owner Occupied"?
The City’s ordinance makes a distinction between "owner-occupied" and "non-owned occupied STRs. If you are staying overnight with your guests, you are considered an "owner-occupied" STR. If you reside elsewhere during the stay, or the home is a 2nd home, you are considered a "non-owner occupied" STR.
General Requirements for both "Owner-Occupied" and "Non-Owner Occupied" STRs
The following information is required as part of the STR Permit application process:
- Applicant (Property Owner or Property Manager) information (name, mailing address, email address, and phone number)
- If the property has been purchased within one year of application date, a current title report will be required.
- Site address, including unit number/letter, if applicable. No P.O. Boxes will be accepted.
- Site Plan, including locations of on-site parking spaces, electrical panel, water shut-off valve, and gas shut-off valve.
- If the site has more than one unit, indicate the location of the STR unit. Please click here for a sample site plan.
- Floor Plan, including the uses of each room (i.e., living room, bedroom, bathroom, etc.). Please click here for a floor plan example.
- Number of bedrooms to be rented.
- Copy of Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions (CC&Rs), if applicable.
- A checking account or credit card to pay permit fees and remit Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT).
- A good neighbor brochure should be linked to your rental listing. Link the Good Neighbor Brochure to your listing (PDF).
Additional Specific Requirements for "Owner-Occupied" STR’s
- Proof of residency (SLO County Tax Assessor bill indicating Homeowner’s Exemption). To obtain a copy click on this link.
- Self-certification of Inspection Checklist (PDF)
Additional Specific Requirements for "Non-Owner Occupied" STR’s
- Local Contract Information (name, mailing address, email address, and phone number).
- After submitting the application materials, City staff will contact you to schedule an inspection of the proposed STR unit.
- It is encouraged that the Inspection checklist be reviewed and any deficiencies be addressed prior to scheduling the inspection. View the inspection checklist (PDF).
Navigate Quickly & Easily
City Help Center